Thursday, October 21, 2010

"Bright-sided" by Barbara Ehrenreich

The cover states "How the relentless promotion of positive thinking is undermining America". The author goes on to dissect the pathology of positivism and positive thinking across the spectrum of human existence from the trauma of cancer survivors to the angst of the global financial crisis.
She explains the origins of the highly exaggerated and popularised view-point of right thinking bringing right results, the results being largely confined to material prosperity. A negative attitude is frowned upon in all spheres of human activity leading to severe disciplinary action and even sacking in the workplace. In a very academic, business-like manner she decries the cheerleader-like promotion of fake happiness, quite rightly proclaiming it to be the source of all evil.
I have my own reservations regarding this book. This is not one that I would have picked off the shelf on my own. This was one of the books recommended by my book-club, a luxury I can indulge in during my time off work! Reading through the chapters is like walking down a street of ugly appartment blocks, each one identical to the one before. The names of the blocks change, but everything else remains the same. One keeps turning the pages hoping for a change in the scenary, waiting for that twist in the plot. We've got the idea by chapter three, and yes, I can see what you are trying to say. The author doesn't stop killing mosquitoes with a sledge hammer. She goes on to make that molotov cocktail that will completely eradicate the insect kingdom.
It doesn't work does it.
This is not an author I would like to meet. This is one cantakerous grouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment